A recent global survey conducted by HCM Oracle has confirmed employee mental health is a crisis of top priority—and the solution preferred by most employees is AI mental health support.
82% of People Prefer Robots to Humans in Mental Health Care
Many employees are hesitant to speak with management about their mental health. Instead, according to the Orace study, they indicate a preference for robot-moderated counseling. 68% of respondents said they would rather discuss workplace stress and anxiety with a robot instead of a manager, while an overwhelming 80% of employees said they wished their companies offered mental health technologies and resources.
Just 18% of respondents would prefer humans over robots for mental health support, saying they thought the AI option would provide quick responses to health questions (29%), a judgement-free outlet (34%), and an unbiased place to discuss problems (30%). With such widespread receptiveness to the idea of robot-moderated therapy, counseling using artificial intelligence offers an accessible potential solution to the current mental health crisis.
2020, Coronavirus & the American Workforce
According to the results of the survey, 2020 was considered the most stressful year in history, negatively impacting mental health for 78% of the workforce. Undoubtedly a contributing factor is the increase in average employee workload as businesses have scrambled to adapt to pandemic restrictions. Survey responders reported that 52% are working an additional five hours a week due to COVID-related workplace demands, while 35% reported working 10 hours more. Unsurprisingly, the increase in job-related stress is not confined to the workplace: 85% of respondents reported work-related mental health struggles adversely affect home life.
Benefits of AI Mental Health Care
Some of the most promising advantages of AI mental health services include:
- Judgement free – Unfortunately, mental health struggles still carry a social stigma that make many uncomfortable seeking help. AI counseling provides judgement-free support with step-by-step guidance for navigating common mental health struggles such as anxiety and depression. For many, getting answers from an AI-powered coach reduces the embarrassment of asking for specific information or services, or admitting noncompliance with a treatment plan.
- Early detection – Early detection of mental health problems is crucial to providing effective care, but many patients avoid going through the time-consuming process of been screened and admitted into the health care system until their condition has become chronic. A mental health support chatbot powered by AI, however, may be able to catch early signs of mental illness and provide or recommend the appropriate early intervention, fast tracking valuable care.
- Self-directed pace of information – Unlike their human counterparts, robotic therapists have endless time and patience, allowing them to match each individual’s learning pace. This feature is especially important for lower-literacy patients, who may feel uncomfortable requesting a slower pace of information.
- Accessible – With approximately nine mental health workers per every 100,000 people, mental health counseling is a luxury simply inaccessible to many. For resource-poor settings, AI provides a straightforward interface and mental health services that might otherwise be completely absent.
- Adaptable – AI counseling can fill more than one role, whether by complementing existing services or constituting an entry point for pursuing standard clinical interventions.
- Anonymous feedback – Employers can utilize feedback gathered from anonymously administered surveys to measure the pulse of the workplace, including whether employees are feeling more connected or burnt out. Surveys also provide an opportunity to assess relative responsiveness to community wellness activities and initiatives.
Get Started with Mindboost.
Mindboost is a mental health coaching tool powered by AI and designed to assist users with effective mental health interventions, positive mental habit building, and daily wellness check-ins. Utilize this app for your company and facilitate a happier, healthier work environment and meet the needs of the modern workforce.
Oracle News Connect. (2020, October 7). Global Study: 82% of People Believe Robots Can Support Their Mental Health Better Than Humans. Retrieved from Oracle: https://www.oracle.com/news/announcement/ai-at-work-100720.html